Shelters are overpopulated and millions of animals are euthanized every year. You can help to save these animals and give them the life they deserve. There are many reasons why you should adopt a rescue dog and we would like to share those with you.
1. Your dog will be healthy and very grateful. People have a misunderstanding about the health of shelter dogs. They are not necessarily sick or otherwise incapacitated. Many shelter animals are brought in because their owners didn’t realize how big they will get or how much money they will cost or because they have to move somewhere that doesn’t allow dogs. All the pets are healthy. Some may have special needs because of their abuse, but they are just as good as any other dog.
2. Adopting costs less than buying. If you buy a dog from a breeder or a pet shop, you will pay thousands of dollars. At a shelter, you pay an adoption fee that only covers the care and vaccinations of the dog you want to adopt. Many of them are also already house trained, socialized, and possibly even went to puppy school. No extra costs there.
3. You help solve a huge problem. Animal overpopulation is a huge problem and there are so many homeless and abused dogs in every country. By adopting a dog from a shelter, you are helping to solve the problem. People who buy from breeders who continue breeding despite the huge overpopulation problem are not making the right choice. By adopting, you are not only giving a dog a home, but you are also saying no to breeders and also opening a spot for the next animal we need to save.
4. The choices are endless. There are so many beautiful dogs in shelters that you are bound to find the perfect one for you. There are big ones, small ones, medium ones, young ones, old ones, and they all have different colors and breeds. You will find the perfect dog for your lifestyle and your personality.
5. You are saving a life. According to statistics, approximately 4 million dogs and cats are euthenized every year in the United States. This does not include the millions in other countries. No-kill shelters are overflowing and they don’t have enough funds. They don’t have a choice but to euthenize. By adopting a dog from a shelter, you are saving that dog’s life. You are making it possible for him to have a good and happy life like it was intended. You will be that dog’s hero forever.
Next time you decide you want to add a furry family member, please visit your nearest shelter and adopt from them. You will find yourself with the most loyal and lovable dog you can imagine. The dog you rescue understands very well that you are their saving grace. Do the right thing – Adopt Don’t Shop!